[Tagging] Harmonising source tag values.

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 04:47:44 UTC 2017

Not really. Although such a move appeals to my sense of orderliness and my
background in database design. All these weird variations in tag values
drive me a little bit crazy but normalizing them is a lot of work that will
soon be undermined by people using new free-form source tags anyhow. By the
way, I use source=Bing with a capital B.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> One mapper has taken on themselves to 'harmonise' some local source tag
> values.
>

> There are many more that could be done along the same lines .. the major
> example would be Bing, bing, BING, bing yyyy and bing yyyy mm (where yyyy
> is the numerical year and mm is the numerical month).
>
> These could all be harmonised to source=Bing (the a majority of tags carry
> this) with source:date=yyyy mm as appropriate.
>
> But I would see no point in it. I think people will continue to use there
> present source tagging practices ... I use lower case bing for example and
> see no real reason to change.
>

> Are there any who see advantages to this 'harmonisation' ?

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand