[Tagging] amenity=vending_machine and vending=public_transport_plans?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Feb 16 21:44:46 UTC 2017

> On Feb 16, 2017, at 10:27 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Let me sum up the questions:
>
> 1.1. do you prefer amenity=dispenser or amenity=dispensing_device?

If it is purely dispensing an item (straws, bags, flyers, umbrellas, then dispenser. There needs to be some way to tag "collector" as well (where you return a dispensed item in some occasions. Some are both (like an umbrella stand - take/leave one as you enter/exit a garden or park).

String or twine
Shoe covers
Blankets
3D glasses
Condiments
Napkins
Utensils
Rulers
Pencils
"Samples" (a sample of a very large amount)

> 1.2. if we should introduce this, should we keep vending_machine or should it be seen as a subclass of dispensing_devices?

Keep vending machine. It may be the same idea, but the mental idea of the job seems very different.

> 1.3 if we introduce dispenser and the dispensing=* key, should we keep the vending=* key or should it be comprised in dispensing=* ?

Good to keep them paired, so there is no confusion, so keep vending.

> 2. which tag seems best for automated parcel pickup / mail in? Current proposals are:
> * amenity=parcel_station
> * amenity=parcel_machine
> * amenity=post_machine (in analogy to post office and post box)
> * amenity=self_service_parcel_counter
> * amenity=self_service_parcel_mail

Self_service_post_machine

Pickup / drop off.

I would also add amenity=parcel_point or similar. Many convenience stores in Japan are now points where you can have a package delivered to instead of your house for certain parcel delivery services.

For example, my wife and I needed to have some bulky supplies delivered to a school, but the school wouldn't accept deliveries, so we walked around the nearby convenience stores looking for one that was a delivery point for packages for the particular service we had to ship via. It would be nice to search for them in an app rather than on foot. They don't have a machine nor a counter, and you can't leave regular mail - you go up to the register as if you were buying food and they hand you your package after checking ID. There are 4 different major delivery services in Japan, so there needs to be a way to denote which service is accepted.

> 3. for services, which tag fits well?
> * amenity=service_machine

Amenity=service_machine is acceptable. I imagine photo booth falls into this, along with shoe shine, golf ball cleaners, scales, etc.