[Tagging] access: motorcar and goods, how to read the hierarchy

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 20:40:44 UTC 2017

On 18-Feb-17 12:01 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> <mailto:simon at poole.ch>>:
>
>     Mistake #1: assuming that there is a vehicle class hierarchy (of
>     any kind).
>

> well, that's what the wiki has in the sentence above the hierarchical
> scheme (indentation): "This hierarchy is different in each country."
> It might be different, but a hierarchy "of any kind" is likely to
> exist in most countries.
>
>     Typically law-makers see no reason to conform to computer science
>     niceties when drafting regulations (rightly so) and will simply
>     add or deduct vehicle properties in ways that make sense for the
>     regulation in question (well most of the time :-)).
>

> when it comes to signs with restrictions, drivers can benefit a lot
> from a logical hierarchy, because it makes the signs quickly readable.
> Otherwise you end up with signs like this:
> http://www.laleggepertutti.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/cartelli-stradali.png
>
>     The OSM hierarchical approach makes sense from a practical mapping
>     pov, but will have issues accurately modelling such edge cases and
>     I would suggest just living with that.
>

> I still believe we should know what the key "motorcar" is meant to
> describe (it could also be a country specific definition, must not be
> valid globally). There's no definition in the wiki, it only states
> "automobile/cars" and a link to wikipedia which is more confusing than
> helping.
>
> What does it mean that the "motorhome" is indented in the wiki table
> with respect to motorcar, while "goods" is not?
Do you then need a definition for trailer, hgv, etc? Where does it stop?

Dictionary motor car: a vehicle, especially one for passengers, carrying
its own power generating and propelling mechanism for travel on ordinary
roads

> How do I know whether a restriction or allowance for motorcars is
> valid for hgv as well? Or shall I add 33 access-tags on every road?
> E.g. typically an isolated motorcar=no implicitly means also hgv=no,
> goods=no, motorhome=no, agricultural=no, tourist_bus=no, bus=no, ...
> while a motorcar=yes does likely not imply anything for hgv or
> tourist_bus, but eventually it does for motorhome and goods.
motor_vehicle=no  and than add any that are allowed .. e.g. goods=yes
and there must be a method of adding time restrictions to that too . eg
goods only between 19:00-22:00