[Tagging] self-service laudry machines a camp and caravan sites

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 23:01:25 UTC 2017

I'm not so sure that tagging minutiae like this is appropriate for OSM,
which is really a geo-database and not a business/services directory. This
is like tagging Italian restaurants with something like the following
(which I hope nobody thinks is a good idea):

+1
Regardless of the "intent" of OSM, this level of tagging does seem
excessive IMO. I've been following the thread and am amazed that this much
attention can be focused on developing tagging for washing machines. I
guess the saying, Your Mileage May Vary, is the operative aphorism LOL

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 4:52 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19-Feb-17 03:11 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
>

> I'm not so sure that tagging minutiae like this is appropriate for OSM,
> which is really a geo-database and not a business/services directory. This
> is like tagging Italian restaurants with something like the following
> (which I hope nobody thinks is a good idea):
>

> OSM could be restricted to just roads. Why have restaurants at all in
> OSM?  But fortunately the majority can see that some section of users want
> restaurants and they want to be able to distinguish between different
> cuisines.
> Same thing for opening_hours .. too much detail for OSM? I think not.
>

> I think it is enough just to indicate if a laundromat is self-service,
> coin-operated, full-service, etc. and not bothering to classify the
> available washing machines. I know tagging information like these is useful
> but should these really be included in OSM? Maybe we ought to have an
> OpenBusinessDirectory sister project or something:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Business_Directory
>

> Fuel stations are now tagged with the type of fuel available there.
> I see no reason to limit what one feature can be tagged with if someone
> wants to tag them ...after all OSM is free tagging with what ever a mapper
> wants to place on a feature.
> By discussing that tagging here you have an opportunity to format that
> tagging into something that might just make sense, has some structure and
> conforms to the other structures used in OSM tagging.
>
> If someone does not want the added detail .. then there is no compulsion
> for them to add nor use that data.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand