[Tagging] Dead hedge

Jerry Clough - OSM sk53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 14:18:41 UTC 2017

I've many such things: the material is called brash (sometimes brush) in the UK. It is often just collected in piles or in longer rows (typically at the edge of the area being worked on) and these are usually referred to as brash piles.
Brash is also used to deliberately fill gaps to discourage people (& their dogs) from accessing places.
Dead hedge is just not a term that I recognise: it certainly isn't standard British English in the conservation sector. Some hedgelaying techniques of interweaving can be used, but these are in the main to reduce the size & profile of the pile. When used as a barrier brash is usually used to plug small gaps rather than to create a continuous barrier. Note that sometimes brash is simply not cleared after chainsaw or brush-cutting and this may appear to a deliberate rather than a transient & accidental barrier.
I would therefore suggest barrier=brash_pile or brush_pile, and despite Wikipedia not dead hedge. Like every other native English speaker on this list dead hedge means a hedge where the plants have died.

      From: Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com>
 To: tagging at openstreetmap.org 
 Sent: Monday, 13 February 2017, 21:02
 Subject: Re: [Tagging] Dead hedge
On 13/02/2017 20:46, Chris Hill wrote:
> It's a fence.

+1 to that.

Despite both of the refs on https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_hedge 
being English ones, it's not an English term I recognise at all, and it 
could have been designed to confuse.



Tagging mailing list
Tagging at openstreetmap.org

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20170220/39a7f5e8/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list