[Tagging] A place where letters & parcels are sent to be sorted so they can be delivered?

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 25 10:49:49 UTC 2017

> ok, the term might still be in use, but if you're not used to the term
> it's evoking pictures like this:
> http://lowres-picturecabinet.com.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/29/main/11/440889.jpg

I suspect that is still relevant for many hand written envelopes &
awkward shaped parcels

> according to wikipedia mail_centre is the word:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mail#Operations
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_centre
>
> according to google, sorting office is most important in dictionaries
> and mail centre is most important in the real world ;-)

This is interesting. From what wikipedia says, the building I was
tagging in Britain may not be classed as a sorting office/mail centre
any more, but a 'delivery office'. (only 28 taginfo of a claimed 1,356 -
maybe a good quarterly project for Talk-GB?).

DaveF

---