[Tagging] How to tag beginning of a river

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 15:30:35 UTC 2017

"it would be an explicit way to tag the beginning, otherwise you can't tell
whether the start of a river in OSM is also the start of the actual river,
or if there are missing parts in OSM."

You make a good point Martin. I hadn't thought of that but that's another
reason for using an explicit tag. Now that you mention it, in my own
mapping of the longer rivers in Alaska I often have time to trace only a
short portion and postponing the rest for another session. If I can
determine the start of one of those rivers and tag it, at least I know
where that important place is and, more importantly, a Nominatum search can
find it if I've also added a name tag to the node. The fact that
sophisticated data consumers can use advanced techniques to locate a
river's starting point, given that it's all present in OSM, doesn't help
less sophisticated users locate these interesting places.

Using a fixme tag at the end(s) of incomplete sections of waterways is also
a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Wolfgang Zenker <wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> * Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> [170225 14:23]:
> >> On 25 Feb 2017, at 12:16, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >> Won't the first node of the named way that's most upstream indicate its
> start point by default?
>
> >> What advantages will adding a specific 'it starts here' tag bring?
>
> > it would be an explicit way to tag the beginning, otherwise you can't
> tell whether the start of a river in OSM is also the start of the actual
> river, or if there are missing parts in OSM.
>
> I usually leave a note "FIXME: stream continues, needs to be mapped"
> or similar at the end node of streams or rivers that I map and have
> not yet mapped to completion.
>
> Wolfgang

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska