[Tagging] Potential proposal for more detail in old_ref=*?

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Feb 27 20:30:14 UTC 2017

On 2/27/17 2:46 PM, Albert Pundt wrote:
> The old_ref=* key seems to be used a lot for any previous designation
> of a road, even decades before. Often a road will have had different
> designations over the years. For example, I-676 in Philadelphia was
> initially designated I-80S from 1957 to 1958, followed by I-895 from
> 1958 to 1960, I-76 from 1960 to 1974, and today I-676 since 1974.
> There's no good way that I know of to represent all this.
>
> Though previous designations aren't useful for most users, it can
> still come in handy to map this data if someone wants to use OSM data
> to track a former route, for example.
>
> Ideally, a more detailed tag for I-676 would be something like this:
>
> old_ref=1957-1958 I 80S;1958-1960 I 895;1960-1974 I 76
>
> Would anyone else support such a proposal, or think it to be useful?

i don't think we want this data in OSM. OHM is coming back online thanks
to hard work by Rob Warren, and i think it's a more appropriate place for
this sort of data. i'm putting some old route information in the Albany NY
area into OHM rather than OSM.

if you must do this in OSM, i recommend using route relations with
start_date and end_date set rather than trying to overload the ways.
that's my solution in OHM when describing reroutes of signed highways.
you probably also want to put the keys in the right namespace so the
data won't inadvertantly be rendered in the "standard" OSM renderings.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search