[Tagging] landuse=logging

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 21:42:58 UTC 2017

On 06-Jan-17 07:36 AM, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> Maybe landuse=logging is used to indicate a tree plantation for
> logging as opposed to a forest where wood production is not the main
> purpose.

If you look at the wiki page for it (created June 2016 so fairly recent)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dlogging

It may imply that logging is taking place, or has taken place .. it has
sub tags of

  * logging
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:logging&action=edit&redlink=1>=clearcutting
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:logging%3Dclearcutting&action=edit&redlink=1>
    - all trees in an area are uniformly cut down;
  * logging
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:logging&action=edit&redlink=1>=selective_cutting
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:logging%3Dselective_cutting&action=edit&redlink=1>
    - only some trees in an area are cut down (for example, sanitation
    cutting);
  * logging:start_date
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:logging:start_date&action=edit&redlink=1>=*
    - logging date (using the format yyyy-mm-dd).

I think this is not a tag nor a tagging scheme I would use - too time
variable for me.

Possibly better to use a sub key under landuse=forest to indicate
detailed use .. similar to landuse=orchard

produce=wood (pulp, lumber etc)

produce=rubber

produce=oil (tee tree, eucalyptus ..)

produce=multi ... better to do comma separated variables ... e.g.
forest=wood,oil

To indicate current state?  then possibly activity?

activity=clearcutting

activity=selective_cutting

But I think this is like mapping the activity in an orchard, vine_yard
etc .. activity=harvest,activity=pruning, activity=planting etc ... very
detailed and time variable. If people want to do that .. fine, not
something I'd do nor propose.

I have not looked as yet at the places using this tag. The number of
uses is high for a tag that has only been described on the wiki for some
8 months ... suspicious?