[Tagging] Tagging a private/membership club

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Fri Jan 6 19:48:50 UTC 2017

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 13:22:48 -0500
Andrew Wiseman <awiseman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Myself and a few other folks in the US have been looking into a way
> to tag private or membership clubs -- things like the Elks Club,
> Fraternal Order of Eagles, Veterans of Foreign Wars club (which are
> sometimes open to the public) and the fancier private clubs (called
> gentlemen's clubs in the UK) ones that are members-only, or members
> and their guests -- like the Yale Club, Cosmos Club, and so on in the
> US, for example. It seems like the wiki is not very clear.
>
> club=* doesn't have anything specific about this:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:club and it seems to be more
> of the place where a meeting of a club happens, rather than a
> specific type of facility.
>
> Taginfo says amenity=social_club only has two uses, but I don't think
> that's accurate, I've found about 10 uses myself just searching
> around for the American Legion, another type of these clubs
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/social_club#overview
>
> American Legion, a widespread one in the US, is tagged variously as
> social facility, social centre, bar, social club and others just in a
> quick search. Social facility is common but seems wrong, as it's more
> for social services, while these places are more like a
> bar/restaurant where meetings and events are sometimes held -- but
> usually not open to the public, unless there's a concert or
> something. The club members often do charity work as well.
>
> To me social_club seems like the best option but there's not
> agreement on the wiki. What do others think?

First, you're mis-interpreting the Taginfo results.  There are only two
"social_club=*" tags, but 500 "amenity=social_club" (as well as 498
"leisure=social_club", 2 "office=social_club", 2 "club=social_club",
and a scattering of "historic=", "disused:amenity=", and
"old_amenity=" tags).

Second, "amenity=social_club" sounds good to me.  It's what I've been
using for VFW posts, Moose lodges, and one strangely-placed Hells
Angels clubhouse.

--
Mark