[Tagging] Wrong use of landuse=village_green - but what else to use?

Marc Zoutendijk marczoutendijk at mac.com
Sun Jan 8 18:59:38 UTC 2017

Hello,

Some mappers use landuse=village_green to tag those spots on the map that are combinations of grass, plants, bushes, flowers and sometimes a few small trees.
The size can vary between 1m2 to maybe 100m2-500m2.
Areas like those are usually maintained bij the municipality and are used as a means to improve the environment of the inhabitants of a village or city.
They are not to be confused with a garden or a park, because those usually have some sort of fence or wall around them, they can have a name and they have an entrance.
In the Dutch community we are now seeking for a proper tagging for this kind of landuse that consists of various other landuses (forest, grass and others) mixed together.

The (mis)use of village_green for the landuse like what I described above, stems mainly from a misunderstanding of the typical English definition and use of the village_green as described in the wiki. [1]
Not being from Great Britain, I don't understand it either! Some people argue that landuse=village_green cannot exist outside of Great Britain because of its special, legal, status.

One of the proposals for this (mixed) type of landuse is “municipality_green” or "municipality_vegetation", and before we continue with its use, I would like to learn what kind of discussions have been had before about tagging this kind of landuse.
I read various discussions on the German forum and started one in the Dutch forum [2], but could not find anything recently in the tagging archives. Anyone who knows (something) better?

Marc

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dvillage_green <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse=village_green>
[2] https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=56899 <https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=56899>