[Tagging] Wrong use of landuse=village_green - but what else to use?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 20:50:34 UTC 2017

On 09-Jan-17 07:02 AM, Marc Zoutendijk wrote:

>> Op 8 jan. 2017, om 20:20 heeft Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com
>> <mailto:tod at fitchdesign.com>> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Based on usage in the United States, it sure sounds like leisure=park
>> is the tag to use for what you are describing. I see nothing in the
>> wiki page [1] for park that indicates it must be a minimum size, have
>> a wall, a discrete entrance or that it has to have a name.  There are
>> a lot of areas local to me called parks, that are tagged with
>> leisure=park and which do not have fences/walls/or gates. And some of
>> the smaller ones (colloquially called “mini-parks”) don’t seem to
>> have names either.
>>

> Todd,
>
> To me a park is some place that you gan "go into”. E.g." let’s go out
> for a stroll in the park.”
>
> The wiki:
>
> "Typically open to the public, but may be fenced off, and may be
> temporarily closed e.g. at night time.”
>
> But i’m talking also about the areas that you find also in the middle
> of a roundabout.
> Adn I wouldn’t call an area of 14m2 between two sections of a highway,
> covered with grass and some flowers a “park”.
>
> No, there really must be something better (I hope) to describe this
> sort of landuse.
>
> Marc.

Landuse is a tag that is not about what is there - trees, shrubs,
flowers, concrete etc ... but the USE of the area.

A park is used for relaxation.
A recreation_ground is used for recreation (physical activity). And so on.

While some parks may have a fence around them, some don't.
There is no requirement for a park to have a fence nor should there be -
remember OSM is world wide .. what is common practice in one part of the
world may be exceptional in another part.

landuse=village_green I take to be a 'common' in Australia as that too
has legal status in Australia similar to 'village_green' in the UK.

If the USE of the area fits well with any current tag .. then use that tag.
Physical objects, like fences, have other tags that can be used to
indicate their presence.