[Tagging] Wrong use of landuse=village_green - but what else to use?

Wolfgang Zenker wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org
Sun Jan 8 22:49:54 UTC 2017

* Marc Zoutendijk <marczoutendijk at mac.com> [170108 21:02]:
>> Op 8 jan. 2017, om 20:20 heeft Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> het volgende geschreven:

>> Based on usage in the United States, it sure sounds like leisure=park is the tag to use for what you are describing. I see nothing in the wiki page [1] for park that indicates it must be a minimum size, have a wall, a discrete entrance or that it has to have a name.  There are a lot of areas local to me called parks, that are tagged with leisure=park and which do not have fences/walls/or gates. And some of the smaller ones (colloquially called “mini-parks”) don’t seem to have names either.

> To me a park is some place that you gan "go into”. E.g." let’s go out for a stroll in the park.”

> The wiki:

> "Typically open to the public, but may be fenced off, and may be temporarily closed e.g. at night time.”

> But i’m talking also about the areas that you find also in the middle of a roundabout.
> Adn I wouldn’t call an area of 14m2 between two sections of a highway, covered with grass and some flowers a “park”.

> No, there really must be something better (I hope) to describe this sort of landuse.

The process of creating and maintaining these green spaces would be called
"urban landscaping" as far as I know. Unfortunately I can't find a better
word for these areas than "green spaces".


More information about the Tagging mailing list