[Tagging] Landuse=grass - boots on change to wiki

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Mon Jan 9 11:56:25 UTC 2017

On 09.01.2017 12:03, Dave F wrote:

> On 09/01/2017 09:16, Volker Schmidt wrote:
>> Please remember that the wiki is intended to document what the common
>> use is, not what the common use should be.
>> If you want to change the common use please use the available
>> discussion channels before changing the wiki.
>>
>> Volker
>
> I disagree with this. The wiki is guidance for what is considered,
> especially for newbies, to be the correct way to tag.

Not only. The wiki is also a reference for data consumers what is meant
by a specific tag.

>  but to believe a tag is
> correct just because it's in the majority is incorrect.

Yes we have historic inconsistencies in OSM tagging, but changing the
wiki description of a 2-Million-use tag is not the way to fix them.

> As an example I give water=river/canal/stream which is now preferred
> over waterway=riverbank, even though there are fewer occurrences at this
> point in time.

Your example is the introduction of a new, more consistent tag, so a
migration can happen.

Back to our example, promoting the use of "landcover=*" to overcome
inconsistencies in "landuse=*" is good; back-changing reality with wiki
redefinitions is not.

tom