[Tagging] What about a disused quarry and historic surface mining?

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Mon Jan 9 23:04:07 UTC 2017

On 09.01.2017 22:56, ksg wrote:

>> Am 09.01.2017 um 22:15 schrieb Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>:
>>
>> On 10-Jan-17 07:56 AM, ksg wrote:
>>>>
>>> You might use man_made=embankment for them. Don’t use natural=cliff, as these features are not of natural origin.
>>
>> The 'natural' key is used for both 'natural' and 'unnatural' objects!
>>
>> For example 'wood' is used where the trees have been grown from manually collected seed in an artificial light, automatically provided watering with liquid food, within a temperature and humidity controlled environment, and then manually planted out.
>>
>> Another example is 'water' used in so many man made dammed areas.
>>
>> In general a cliff is more vertical and taller than an embankment.
>
> The comparison is IMHO misleading because the tree seedlings/growing trees are still natural organic matter. Water is of natural origin and part of the hydrological cycle, regardless if it forms a sea, a lake or is stored in a reservoir.
>
> In contrast the mining faces exist not by geological consent, they are artificial.

They consist of the remaining geological material, which is of natural
origin.

There is a geological cycle as well, with mountains moving up and down,
continents sink or lift up...

I would not be so picky and allow the new cliff to be called natural,
while I associate other purposes with an embankment.

tom