[Tagging] landuse=logging

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 06:21:28 UTC 2017

@warin,

This is another laughable instance of how terminology we consider normal is
so different across the ocean. To Americans timber refers to the standing
trees in a forest. Timber is felled and cut into lumber. We might describe
an area as being "heavily timbered" or having "standing timber". One would
never substitute the word lumber for timber in either of those phrases. A
place that was "heavily lumbered" would imply that the trees had been
felled, removed, and cut up into boards which we call lumber.

In this particular case these differences can be handily side-stepped
because John Willis offers the use of crop=timber, which works to clarify
the terminology without offending anyone while still being entirely
correct.

> crop=timber
> crop=rubber
+1

Cheers,
Dave

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 8:25 AM, John Willis <johnw at mac.com> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jan 10, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > There are other things produced by forestry ...
> > maple syrup for Canadians
> > rubber from rubber trees
> > various oils (tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil)
> > as well as timber.
> >
> > From the crop wiki I think this can be an additional tag for
> landuse=forest ...
> > crop=timber