[Tagging] Wrong use of landuse=village_green - but what else to use?

Marc Zoutendijk marczoutendijk at mac.com
Wed Jan 11 09:56:02 UTC 2017

> Op 10 jan. 2017, om 05:14 heeft Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
> I thought the original question was broader than just the patches of
> green next to the road. I also want to know how to map those green
> patches when they are not part of roundabouts, or are located between
> sidewalk and road (where cars drive).

To help us focus on what type of “green” I’m (and others) are thinking of, I have prepared a photo-collage:

https://marczoutendijk.stackstorage.com/s/guN1x7PBfZfP1ZR <https://marczoutendijk.stackstorage.com/s/guN1x7PBfZfP1ZR>

At the core of all this we we see:

- areas of any size but more often small
- a variety of grass, plants, flowers and trees in any number and combination
- located mostly inside urban areas
- there is not normally an entrance to the area but sometime a footpath divides it

Tagging this with leisure=garden covers all situations quiet well, save for the “entrance” part.
One other idea was to add the operator=* tag. E.g. operator=municipality.

One of the other possibilities (proposed in the Dutch Forum) to tackle this problem, is to redifine village_green to mean something different in The Netherlands then in the UK. Such local meaning of tags we also see for highway tagging.

Marc Zoutendijk