[Tagging] Wrong use of landuse=village_green - but what else to use?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Jan 11 11:30:44 UTC 2017

> On Jan 11, 2017, at 7:42 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  think every place in the world should ideally belong to:
> - a landuse
> - a landcover polygon

That is awesome.

If you have a building, the plants and trees around the building belongs to the land the building sits on, just like the parking lot, driveway, and the wall or fence surrounding the single named place..  all those things are an “amenity” of the building. A park may have more non-green than green - but the land use is related to the park itself. the same is true for the bushes growing along it’s fence that separates it from the road or the adjacent houses.

In places, like rural areas, natural areas, or some place like slums or war ravaged areas where boundries are not easy to discern, I understand how defining landuses can be difficult, but we are talking about mapping the bushes in between buildings in this post, so the idea of understanding where large landuses (like a mall, school, apartment complex, highway infrastructure, etc) is really easy to discern and therefore easy to map.

This is why in the past I was pushing for other generic landuse values (like civic), because everything in a urban environment should be covered by a landuse of some kind - and there are several *gaping holes* in landuse definitions.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landuse%3Dcivic#Missing_Landuse <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landuse=civic#Missing_Landuse>

Tying a landuse to it’s landcover is just a relic of old tagging schema.

in the interim, bushes and shrubs and other things that impede people from occupying the land in an urban environ that is not another type of tag (flowerbed, tree, etc) should be tagged as barrier=hedge IMO. It is a barrier, it s a hedge in the loose sense (there is no single type, size, or plant type of hedge), and it easily works with macro and micromapping.

if people want something more descriptive and something in the landcover= key like “urban_greenery” as a catchall for urban non-grass non-flowerbed  non-tree plants -  great, lets do it - but barrier hedge fits the bill pretty good already. no one is going to be cutting through such areas in an urban/sububan setting, while a landcover=grass would easily be walked over.

After thinking about the value, I am against "landscaping", as it is the *arrangement* of the bushes and dirt that makes it landscaped. Some landscaping is rocks and gravel and placement of boulders.  A lot of the urban hedges are just filler, walls, or a pretty "fence" to impede jaywalking - all jobs of barriers.

Javbw