[Tagging] Wrong use of landuse=village_green - but what else to use?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Jan 11 13:16:47 UTC 2017

> On Jan 11, 2017, at 6:56 PM, Marc Zoutendijk <marczoutendijk at mac.com> wrote:
>
> To help us focus on what type of “green” I’m (and others) are thinking of, I have prepared a photo-collage:
>
> https://marczoutendijk.stackstorage.com/s/guN1x7PBfZfP1ZR <https://marczoutendijk.stackstorage.com/s/guN1x7PBfZfP1ZR>

most everything in the photos looks like hedges to me. no one is going to walk through them or on top of them.

The picture center-right has an interesting landcover: is that wood chips? natural=scrub? the outside is clearly a hedge.

reading the images top-to-bottom and left-to-right (like reading):

landcover=grass, with a hedge line and a tree.

landcover=grass

barrier=hedge, tree points on the opposite side of the street.

a barrier=hedge around this section of a parking lot island.  **the area inside I don’t think has a tag**

barrier=hedge along the walkway / barrier=hedge with a tree in it.

building=roof (or however a trellis is tagged) + some trees + barrier hedge between the walkways

barrier=hedge along the street. points for trees.

barrier=hedge area along barrier=fence way

natural=scrub

here is the road I was driving down in tokyo I talked about earlier. everything in the area is hedges to me (with a couple trees thrown in)

https://goo.gl/maps/Hnmks8MDJsC2 <https://goo.gl/maps/Hnmks8MDJsC2>

most are on areas along barrier=fence ways.

https://goo.gl/maps/swKt1wpybY52 <https://goo.gl/maps/swKt1wpybY52>
Hedges & ginko trees.

this is the kind of scenario where I would have difficulty:

https://goo.gl/maps/u3MYPMFKEnG2 <https://goo.gl/maps/u3MYPMFKEnG2>

The foreground is fallow rice fields - easy. but along the embankment is purposefully planted trees and shrubs (and a hedge!), but it is basically only trimmed back once a year. most of the time it looks like natural=scrub, and grows down into the road below the motorway every summer. I tagged a bunch of this as scrub in the past, but I’m not sure now.

finding a good definition for this purposefully landscaped area, which is (intermittantly) tended to and includes mixes of trees and bushes and grasses is a good tag.

perhaps landcover=greenery? I don’t know.

Javbw.