[Tagging] landuse=aquaculture with wateruse=aquaculture

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 02:11:18 UTC 2017

On 12-Jan-17 11:19 AM, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> Here is Thailand there is a lot of aquaculture going on. Almost all of
> Thailand's fish and shellfish (shrimp, mussels, oysters, squid,
> cuttlefish) come from such farms and the countryside is littered with
> them. My practice has been to enclose the entire area including the
> ponds and buildings and tag it landuse=aquaculture. Then if I choose
> to take the time to trace out individual ponds within those areas,
> which I often decide not to bother doing, I would tag them as
> natural=water, water=pond.
>
> I honestly don't see the need for another top-level tag for this
> purpose. An aquaculture operation almost always involves some dry
> land, often quite a lot of it, and processing buildings so the
> landuse tag would seem perfectly suited in such cases.

There are the ones in the sea .. well off the coast, others are located
in rivers ... these would be navigation hazards. Not too concerned with
ones on or even adjacent to land.

> My only other comment is that the use of natural=water to describe
> these, or any, man_made ponds or reservoirs has always seemed, well,
> unnatural (pun intended) but I think changing that tagging methodology
> at this point in time will never happen. LOL
With you there .. the 'natural' key is a bad term. Its values should be
split between landcover and landform. A landform of a peak, saddle etc
could have a landcover of wood, grass etc.

Humm possibly the landuse key is not what is wanted either ... as it is
being used on water too ... possibly landuse should be humanuse ?