[Tagging] Wrong use of landuse=village_green - but what else to use?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 14:17:09 UTC 2017

> And I disagree with all of them being leisure=garden.
> The green patches between a road and a footway are not 'leisure' things ..
> they are 'safety' things .. particularly beside busy roads.

I believe you are making this too "philosophical". Should we tag the
private residential garden of someone who doesn't use it in his leisure
time differently from the garden of someone who uses it?
Green patches along a road can be there for decorative reasons and or for
safety reasons, one doesn't exclude the other. There are areas around the
world where people do sit down aside a road, e.g. there are flower beds,
benches, etc.

This said, I don't think we should tag the green areas along roads as
gardens, unless there is a particular exception (garden themed areas).

> If these same areas were covered with concrete .. would you still think of
> them as 'leisure'? In other words .. are you associating the 'cover' with
> the 'use' of these areas?

there is also a connection between cover and use, but in the first place
concrete areas are unlikely "these same areas" as the grass areas with just
a different cover. The only common property is the position along the road.

> Approach =the problem from 2 different ways of thinking -
>
> What is the 'cover' ... landcover ?
>
> and then
>
> What is the 'use' ... landuse?
>
> Once you divide those 2 things up it makes it clearer what is there.

+1, this is what I am advocating for many years:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landcover

Cheers,
Martin