[Tagging] Wrong use of landuse=village_green - but what else to use?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 10:38:48 UTC 2017

> From other mappers I heard that the wiki should describe what mappers _do_
> map, not what they _should_ map.

it should document the consensus. Often the definition of tags is the
result of a proposal and voting. Now if a significant amount of people were
to use the tags nonetheless in a different way with respect to what has
been agreed upon via the proposal process, this can (should) be noted on
the tag definition page, but not necessarily has it to influence the
definition itself (=what the tag should mean), it could be done in a way
that users become aware of the problem without changing the actual
definition (i.e. as a note to the page).

> For landuse=grass there was some debate over the change of the wiki by a
> user, replacing what we do map by what that user thinks we should map.

to be fair, it is not just one user who thinks there is a problem with
landuse=grass, it has been noted on various occasions that "grass" is not a
use.

> For landuse=village_green the practical use of that tagging is highly
> different (but not everywhere) from what the wiki states.
> Hence I have _added_ a few lines to the wiki, explaining that the use of
> village_green on the map, differs from what’s in the wiki.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dvillage_green
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse=village_green>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse

+1, IMHO it could be added that this is not desirable nonetheless. Maybe it
could be interesting to see _where_ the usage does not conform to the
definition, i.e. from the actual definition, this tag wouldn't have a place
outside of the UK (maybe commonwealth) anyway. What about Britain, is the
usage there inconsistent as well?

Cheers,
Martin