[Tagging] Representing "altimetric quotas" in OSM

Nelson A. de Oliveira naoliv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 17:13:54 UTC 2017

I really don't know if the proper term is "altimetric quota" in English, sorry.

What we have are some places where the elevation at some points were
measured. It's similar to man_made=survey_point but without any
physical objects or marks there; somebody just measured the elevation
at that point and charted it.

For example, the orange X with numbers at their sides here
https://i.imgur.com/keRUoI3.png are representing the charted
elevations.

Due to a misunderstanding and/or lack of a better tag, they were
inserted in OSM as peaks, like in
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=11/-20.1043/-46.2971 and
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/-20.1032/-46.2518

Some coincide with local peaks, while some not; of course we don't
have so many peaks there.

So what we have is:
1) they are not peaks
2) some users are saying that it's polluting the map (they have a reason)
3) I don't think we should simply remove all the peaks (since the user
who mapped them had a lot of work for this)
4) we lack (or we don't know) a good tag to represent this

Is there any tag that we could use to better represent such data, please?