[Tagging] Public transport cards

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jan 17 20:39:43 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 4:02 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

>> However, I would warn against using OSM as a database for public
>> transport. It seems as if public transport is sometimes overmicromapped in
>> OSM.
>

> +1, I'd see public_transport cards somehow included in the ticket vending,
> and there's generally a move away from any kind of physical ticket or cards
> towards electronic solutions in combination with smartphones etc., so it
> might not even be worth the hazzle ;-)

Counterargument: The unbanked population is rapidly increasing, leaving
electronic payment options unavailable.  Also, tourists and infrequent/new
riders that may not have a compatible electronic option available.  Knowing
where to obtain a ticket/card/whatever with hard currency is immensely
useful in these situations.