[Tagging] [Talk-us] cardinal directions

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Wed Jan 18 14:59:04 UTC 2017

I am trying to be consistent with the outcome of the discussion that we had on talk-us a couple of years ago. Right now both are used (north/south/east/west as relation member role as well as direction on the relation tag) but the former is used way more often. That’s why I am suggesting going with the practice that has surfaced as the most popular, as well as the outcome of earlier discussion.

Perhaps I am not understanding you correctly, but I am *not* suggesting to use tags on ways to indicate cardinal direction, just assign roles to relation members. Agreed that adding this type of info to ways makes it impossible to validate / maintain.

This also does not have to preclude having separate e/w or n/s relations + a super relation — I think that is actually good practice for big relations to keep them manageable.

Martijn van Exel