[Tagging] shop=fuel

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 15:35:33 UTC 2017

> This tag started out being for a very specific type of shop that sells
> only one item, motor fuel, in small volume containers. There is a need to
> keep shops of this type separate from large full-service facilities that
> sell motor fuel in quantities large enough to refill cars or trucks. lt has
> now been expanded to include other types of fuel like kerosene and even
> charcoal. Fine. That's logical and sensible.
>
> But if you want to rework the tagging structure to handle such borderline
> cases as fuel shops that also sell bread, then I feel that would be
> defeating the original purpose of this tag. Where will these additions and
> modifications stop? A logical but not particularly useful extension of that
> reasoning might involve redefining the entire structure of the shop tag
> hierarchy by using shop=yes, bread=yes, Crest_brand_toothpaste=yes,
> fuel:diesel=yes, knitting_supplies=yes, etc. etc.

Well, I for one like to take a middle ground between what works now and
what we will probably need in the future.

Vending machines are mapped entirely according to this model, using
vending:*=* . By the logic we used for shop=*, it should have been
amenity=bread_vending_machine or amenity=vending_machine + bread=yes. The
vending:* tagging style makes it easier to process all sorts of data, and
easily allows further extension.

I wouldn't say we should change shop tagging styles to that. I was merely
taking the stated position that fuel shops should follow that structure to
its logical conclusion. And I'm starting to think we might actually have to
consider it to avoid ever further cluttering of the shop types.