[Tagging] [Talk-us] destination:street

Hakuch hakuch at posteo.de
Sun Jan 22 20:14:56 UTC 2017

On 22.01.2017 20:41, yo paseopor wrote:
> So you say each value...(are we talking about multiple values or values
> with semicolon?). What are the most used values: unique or multiple? Why
> don't we use multiple values more often?

Like I said in my other post, the wiki is not very clear here, but the
problem pointed out there is not the semicolon itself (not only) but the
main target is to avoid multiple values when there are better methods to
collect them (old_name, loc_name etc. for example)

> Because it follows one tag-one value policy I supose. But I don't know why
> in the wiki I read "avoid semicolons"...if it is the best way to manage
> multiple values. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multiple_values
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multiple_values> .Change the wiki to
> encourage people to use multiple values.

no, we dont want to encourage people to use multiple values, but to use
the semicolon when it is really necessary to use multiple values.

In the past, there could have been other decissions to mark multiple
values. Some may argue that it would have been better to mark the MV on
the Key instead on the Value. But that decission has been made: Multiple
Values are marked with a semicolon on the Value, Keys should not be
marked (unfortunately the iD does...).

Even when one may prefer other variants it should be accepted because to
have two standards is worse than having one ugly but working standard.