[Tagging] Power Tower Landuse = ?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Tue Jul 4 22:34:48 UTC 2017

> On Jul 5, 2017, at 1:26 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> the landuse, if they cross farmland the land beneath them is still farmland or in the case of this photo natural=wood.

Yes, I agree there instances where the pylons sit on a landuse, and it doesn’t substantially change the surrounding area - natural or man-made. Perhaps that is the most common occurrence of the towers.

Sometimes it is changed to a different natural landuse (scrub,meadow,etc) because people cut corridors through the forest for the wires. This is common around pylons/towers in my region because the towers sit on ridges, and the area immediately surrounding some towers is kept clear of trees, leading to natural=scrub.

Other times, the land is in man-made landuse (farmland) and “abandoned” by the owner left to be used only by the pylon/tower. The land was purchased by the utility, and is often raised or compacted, so the farmer doesn’t use it. This is very common in my region, though I understand that in other countries it is very common to continue farming in the land.

Other times, the towers have barrier separated landuse, with possibly a different landcover - think a large tower near residences, or a comm tower in the wilderness near a mountaintop. Some pylons/towers I deal with are on separate landuses, while others nearby are merely “abandoned” by a farmer, due to the tower’s proximity to a large road.

The “abandoned” and “separated” land used by the pylon/tower IMHO is worth mapping as a desperate landuse.

Almost all comm towers here have a dedicated, fenced landuse, cabinet/shed for a backup generator, and a pole or tower for cellphone antennas. Similarly, I would say this is also a mappable landuse.

Javbw