[Tagging] Definition of place=square

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Wed Jul 5 17:13:12 UTC 2017

Hi,

I was trying to make this tag rendering on default map:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/2673

but it looks there are more fundamental problems with place=square. The
wiki definition is too vague, citing just the names in different
languages and referring to Wikipedia, and it looks it would be useful to
write more about tagging complex squares:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:place%3Dsquare

My initial proposition is to get away with languages and Wikipedia link
and define it this way:

"The place=square is an open space common in urban centers, like cities
or towns. Typically this is a named pedestrian area surrounded by
buildings, but there are also complex cases with multiple disconnected
pedestrian areas, grass, parks, streets junctions with different names
(including the streets named after the square or without such name), etc.".

--
"Like a halo in reverse" [M. Gore]