[Tagging] Power Tower Landuse = ?

Jherome Miguel jheromemiguel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 22:17:45 UTC 2017

"Pylon" would be one common reference to transmission towers in the UK or
elsewhere in Europe, but that is not the case of the United States and
other parts of the world, where "pylon" means something different, that
"tower" is used instead. So, why not call transmission/power towers with
"tower", for others to understand.

And the presence of a transmission tower in agricultural land is, yes, do
not need the change of land use tag. But that will not be the case of
fenced-off towers, like what the author of this thread stated. Though
fenced transmission towers are rare in my country (as almost all of them do
not have ladders or stairs that may be accessed without authorization, that
will require a fence or phsical barrier to block access), tagging a
transmission tower where a fence or physical barrier at ground level is
present with the landuse=industrial (plus a proposed industry= tag) will
help indicate a different land use from the surrounding area.


On Jul 4, 2017 7:18 PM, "Philip Barnes" <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

On 4 July 2017 11:07:04 BST, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
>2017-07-04 1:56 GMT+02:00 John Willis <johnw at mac.com>:
>> it seems like other long-term infrastructure (power towers,
>> towers) are suggested to be landuse=industrial.
>> I really think there should be some kind of subtag then, because not
>> can you define what and why you are tagging, but it allows presets to
>> easily created in iD and searched by new taggers.
>> industrial=power, industrial=communication, etc.
>I agree that a formalization of industrial subtags would be really
>desirable. There are many different kind of things that get this same
>landuse property, e.g. warehouses, production facilities, logistical
>infrastructure (ports, distribution centres, ...).
>For the German context (but likely also for other places), there should
>also a distinction for "light industry" (Gewerbe).
>Then it seems strange we don't have yet a standardized list of typical
>level categories (e.g. automotive, textile, semiconductors,
>energy, machinery, mining, ...)
The correct English term is pylon.

Although I am a little confused by the purpose of this thread, the presence
of pylons does not in my experience change the landuse, if they cross
farmland the land beneath them is still farmland or in the case of this
photo natural=wood.


Phil (trigpoint)

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Tagging mailing list
Tagging at openstreetmap.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20170706/4fdc6717/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list