[Tagging] definition of the key "office"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 14:11:29 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 8. Jul 2017, at 14:35, John Willis <johnw at mac.com> wrote:
>
> I think it is reasonable to keep private offices in office=*
>
> Perhaps office:access=customers / visitors / private / destination might be a way to differentiate between the different kinds of business that are in existence, with the default being office:access=customers .
>
> Perhaps a simple office:public=no switch would work, or perhaps I am overthinking it.

currently there is no real logic behind the system, or we could say, there are some outliers. Why is it shop=hairdresser or travel_agency, but office=estate_agent? Yes, customers/clients go to architects, lawyers or advertising agencies, but usually by appointment only. You wouldn't just ring the doorbell and say: I was around and wanted to have a look how my case is going. Already the fact you will typically have to ring the bell as opposed to just open the door and go in, is an indice. You also can't reply to the question of the advocate's secretary: how can I help you? - Thank you, I am just looking around ;-) like you would in a typical shop. I agree the border is thin, because a reply like this probably wouldn't be acceptable at a hairdresser's either.

cheers,
Martin