[Tagging] definition of the key "office"

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 10:29:33 UTC 2017

On 09-Jul-17 08:09 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 9. Jul 2017, at 01:07, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In Australia Post offices can do passports .. so rather than using civic I would use service...
>>
>> service:passport=yes
>> service:pension=yes
>
> I don't think these tags are very clear, service:passport could become service:passport_issuing (why would we need the service prefix?)
> don't know about service:pension. Is it calculating the pension? The retirement process (declaring you don't work any more and they process your retirement?). Paying you the "cash" for the next month? Or even a kind of hospitality service?

And

civic:passport=yes

civic:pension=yes

... mean? The word civic ... conveys what? Whereas service means that something is being done (one hopes).
While a great deal of nothing may be done in some places so 'civic' might be a great tag there... I'd hope that in some place at least some service is being done. :)

I agree that service or civic or whatever may not be absolutely needed it is a way of grouping them together.
So if they were to be in some 'service' (or some such) group similar to 'height', 'width' etc. are in the 'properties' group then that would be fine with me.
However it will be like the shop key - many values will be used .. some guidance will be needed through examples.
As many examples as possible is best, and then monitoring use and documenting the best uses and suggesting 'less correct' use be changed to a better value.

I would not restrict the use of this 'service' key to offices .. there will be places in the world where a 'service' is offered in a fuel station for example.

Getting a bit away from the original subject of the office key here. Sorry about that.