[Tagging] highspeed=yes

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 13:06:19 UTC 2017

> > What is a "line" in osm tags?
> > If you map a specific train connection (route=train) it would apply to
> the whole thing, if you tag a piece of rail (route=railway or railway=rail)
> I would only put it on those parts that are suitable for highspeed trains.
>
> Line in this context refers to all railway tracks between two stations
> except sidings, yards, spurs etc. (i.e. all tracks which would get
> usage=*).

for the tracks it doesn't seem right to tag "highspeed" where it isn't
highspeed, although it might be disputable which speed merits the term
"highspeed", even the European guideline 96/48 names differents speeds,
ranging from 200km/h via 250km/h to more than 300km/h (and it is from
1996). Later it was put to at least 190km/h. (Btw. more than 200km/h was
already reached by trains in 1903 in experimental settings). Contrarily, it
is much more interesting to see which parts of a claimed highspeed
connection is actually not highspeed besides the train that runs (slowly)
over it ;-)

Highspeed implies technical safety measures (likely dependent on the
Country / Region, i.e. legal requirements) regarding signalling and
location determination (in Germany LZB), fenced off tracks, short blocks,
etc.

Cheers,
Martin