[Tagging] Formally informal sidewalks

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 14:00:56 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 13. Jul 2017, at 15:28, Svavar Kjarrval <svavar at kjarrval.is> wrote:
>
> 1. Sometimes streets don't have formal sidewalks (no markings on the
> street nor signs) but there is an "common sense expectation" that
> pedestrians are allowed to traverse on the edge of that street, and also
> cross it anywhere using caution. The maximum speed is considered low
> enough, but they are not technically living streets. This can cause
> problems for routing software since it generally doesn't have a basis to
> assume this behaviour is alright.

I don't know which jurisdiction you are talking about, but walking on the edge of the street seems perfectly legal in many places (in absence of sidewalks or if you are carrying big loads that would be a nuisance to other pedestrians on a sidewalk), with the exception of motorways and motorroads. The same for crossing anywhere, provided you are farther away than x meters of a signed crossing (where x around here is 100 meters if I recall correctly, and 0-30-100 meters in other European countries) and it is not a road restricted to motor vehicles (motorway etc.) and you believe it is safe to do so. Actually the only countries I am aware of restricting pedestrians (jaywalking) from crossing anywhere (when "reasonably far" away from traffic lights and crossings) are the US, Canada and Singapore.

I don't know how current routers handle this case, and it is clearly preferable walking on decent sidewalks than on the road, but in absence of sidewalks the router should still be able to lead pedestrians over a road.

Cheers,
Martin