[Tagging] Formally informal sidewalks

Mike N niceman at att.net
Fri Jul 14 13:41:27 UTC 2017

On 7/14/2017 8:14 AM, Marc Gemis wrote:
>> but merge sidewalk with the road where the is no space/barier between them.

> and that's were the discussion starts. When I asked when one has to
> draw a separate sidewalk a few weeks ago on this mailing list someone
> answered: as soon as there is a kerb.

   Similarly, I have been combining sidewalks with roads where there is
no separation.   But when there is a small grass separation from the
roadway, they are drawn separately.  For those cases, it is usually
allowed to cross the grassy separation and the road to get to the
opposite sidewalk.

   Throwing out the R word here - what about a relation that defines
which disconnected ways could be walked to or across from any point on a
current way?   That would also include the road since there would be no
barrier.