[Tagging] Meaning of cycleway=no

Wiktor Niesiobedzki osm at vink.pl
Tue Jul 18 20:55:25 UTC 2017

Hi,

Recently I read in OSM Weekly about new maps by MapCat. Driven by
curiosity I opened this map and when I switched to bike mode in my
city I notice a lot of non-existing cycling infrastructure. After
investigation I discovered that MapCat renders all values of cycleway
as bike lane, what in presence of "no" value is an apparent bug[1].

Looking on taginfo, it seems, that cycleway=no is second most used value in OSM:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/cycleway#values

Though I find it hard to understand, what it means. We could give a
lot of tags with "no" value - building=no on landuse= and highway= and
so on. Even I found combination of highway=cycleway + cycleway=no.

As I asked this question on Polish OSM forum and Mateusz updated wiki
page: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway#Other_values
with description of "no" value.

Can anybody point me to explanation of this tag value? Should it's use
be discouraged by validators / presets? (at least combinations as
highway=cycleway + cycleway=no)

Cheers,

Wiktor

[1] - https://mapcat.userecho.com/topics/69-do-not-render-cyclewayno-as-bike-lane/