[Tagging] Meaning of cycleway=no

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Jul 20 11:37:39 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Wiktor Niesiobedzki <osm at vink.pl> wrote:

> Can anybody point me to explanation of this tag value? Should it's use
> be discouraged by validators / presets? (at least combinations as
> highway=cycleway + cycleway=no)

highway=cycleway + cycleway=no is definitely a nonstarter.

cycleway=no means that there is no bicycle facility.  highway=cycleway
means that it's built only for, or primarily for, cycling.  In the US, this
would effectively be the same as a multiuse path, but with marked lanes
and/or signage, and may include a provision for pedestrians such as
sidewalks, like this one in Tulsa
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bu9dTi0GRknlxprT2> (location
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=36.07594&mlon=-95.98352#map=18/36.07594/-95.98352&layers=N>).
A common arrangement would be to be open to pedestrian traffic, but provide
no facility for walking, such as this one in Jenks, Oklahoma
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/XvnHld1M3Mx4KZNd2> (location
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=36.01746&mlon=-95.96192#map=19/36.01746/-95.96192&layers=N>).
More elaborate arrangements would be like this one in Helmrich Park
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/VCK5RlZ2DZHK2ElB3> (location
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=36.05797&mlon=-95.97669#map=18/36.05797/-95.97669&layers=N>),
where the sidewalk is fully separated (visible on left) from the sidewalk
(foreground).  The former only allows pedestrians, the latter allows
cyclists and skaters.