[Tagging] source tag on object <> changeset

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 12:24:50 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 25. Jul 2017, at 10:17, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> in which cases do you check the history ? If I have a photo (or any
> other survey material) that show a different reality than what is
> mapped, why would I then check the source ?

+1, I also see no point in these source tags, either the information is correct or I'll correct it, I don't mind where the problem comes from (outdated imagery, bad interpretation of imagery, a change to the real world object, a confused mapper, etc.). Source tags mostly serve armchair mappers, who don't know the situation on the ground so they have to guess whether their own guess is better than what is mapped --- simply don't do it ;-)

The only reason I add source tags to changesets is hoping that armchair mappers will refrain from modifying things that are survey based, if they only use aerial imagery without on the ground knowledge.

Cheers,
Martin