[Tagging] highspeed=yes

Nzara nzaraosm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 02:17:18 UTC 2017

I agree with Dave. I cant see how highspeed=yes improves OSM. It has a
very poor verifiability, which leads to unproductive disputes. It seems
to me, it reflects most of the time a classification of the local
railway operator.

If a renderer chooses to show high-speed railways in a special way, it
should base this on maxspeed or other verifiable tags mentioned earlier.

BTW: Even maxspeed may be hard to verify and may be disputable in some
cases. E. g. Gotthard Basistunnel and Lötschberg Basistunnel (mentioned
earlier) are build and equipped for 280 kph, certified for 250 kph,
tagged with 200kph and operation is limited to 180 kph for energy
conservation.

Cheers,
Nzara