[Tagging] fire hydrants

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sun Jun 11 18:18:58 UTC 2017

On 6/10/17 1:36 PM, Eric H. Christensen wrote:
> On June 10, 2017 12:23:22 PM EDT, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
>>
>> in the US some localities paint their hydrants to reflect the diameter
>> of the main. this is not standard so you need to check with the local
>> districts.
>>

>> Well, there is an NFPA color standard, IIRC, based on the flow rate of the largest diameter fitting on the hydrant. This is slightly different than the size of the main it is hooked to as a five-inch connection is going to flow more than a three-inch connection on the same sized main.
>>
>>  I've seen this used in larger municipalities; wish it was done more.

in the capital district of new york, the NFPA standard is used in only
one case
that i've found, one of the 3 districts in North Greenbush.

by comparison, color coding based on water main diameter is used in Troy
and in the town of bethehem. further complicating matters is the fact
that while
the Troy scheme is wildly non-standard and unique, the Bethlehem scheme is
somewhat resembles the NFPA scheme (e.g. red bonnet and caps indicate
a small diameter main in Bethlehem and indicate flow rate under 500 GPM
in North Greenbush.)

other parts of the capital district are off in their own places. Albany,
Colonie and
Guilderland schemes are based on asethetics rather than any functional
scheme.

the short version is that there is useful information conveyed by color
schemes
- sometimes - but research may be needed to find out what that
information is.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux