[Tagging] metal bladed windmills for water pumps

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 09:21:34 UTC 2017

> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dwindpump
>
> Thanks for that - my father restored one of these and has it in his grove,
> but I never considered how to tag it. They used to be everywhere people
> depended on well water in the US, now most of them are gone.

there seems to be some overlap with man_made=windmill, and no clear
distinction: the wiki says windmill "for traditional windmills (including
traditional looking windmills that happen to pump water rather than mill
grain)."
No what is "traditional", whose tradition? Those windpumps seem completely
traditional as well. Maybe the distinction is the structure? Light, open
(metal lattice) construction (no building) for the windpumps vs. solid
brick (or closed wooden frame) building (with the function inside) for
windmills?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dwindpump
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dwindmill

Cheers,