[Tagging] beer_garden

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 15:25:24 UTC 2017

"Biergarten" is a Bavarian invention, successfully exported to the entire
world.
It was originally a very specific arrangement, basically only in Munich:
outdoors events where only beer was served at tables placed under trees. No
building. No food served and you were expected to bring your own food.
Nowadays the meaning is wider, also in Germany (maybe with the exception of
Bavaria) and includes (larger) outside areas of pubs where you can drink
beer, but where also food may be served.
I would not know where to put the exact borderline between a pub with
"outdoor seating" and a pub with a "beer garden" in OSM tagging terms.
Certainly I would not put beer garden in "leisure" it's clearly a
food&drinks place, hence amenity. (Unless you refer to a truly Bavarian
one, where beer is served in one-litre beer steins, when it may be
considered a sport as it mainly strengthens the clients' arm muscles.

Maybe a solution could be to say:
As long as it is not explicitly mapped as a separate area it is a place
with outdoor_seating=yes. When it is big or important enough to have its
own area polygon, and it's main purpose is serving beer, then I would map
it amenity=beer_garden. If, in addition, you have to pass a Bavarian
dialect test to be admitted, you may add something like
beer_garden:type=truly_bavarian_biergarten or something to that effect.