[Tagging] fire hydrants

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Jun 15 15:21:16 UTC 2017

On 6/15/17 10:02 AM, Viking wrote:
> About the wrench, Richard, we could create the subtag  fire_hydrant:wrench. In Italy we have standard pentagonal or square wrench. What would you insert in this tag? Type and size of the wrench? Something like:
> fire_hydrant:wrench=square30
> Or, like couplings, create fire_hydrant:wrench_type and fire_hydrant:wrench_size?
the physical characteristic of the hydrant is the nut/bolt head, not the
wrench.

square, triangular and pentagonal seem to be the three that are out there.
i'm not sure the size is that important, the wrenches in use seem to be
adjustable.

other tagging notes while we're at it:

i have been using a few other tags in the capital district of new york.

i separate out pond because water source is really a different thing
than the type of hydrant; i've seen dry_barrel pillar hydrants used
with a pond water source. and i generally distinguish between the two
major variations of the pillar hydrant.

fire_hydrant:type=dry_barrel
                  wet_barrel
                  pipe

fire_hydrant:water_source=main
                          pond
                          stream

if a locality is using the NFPA paint scheme it's possible to discern
the class of hydrant from the color of the caps. in the US an AA hydrant
has been flow tested and shown to have a very high flow rate. A, B & C are
successively weaker hydrants. firemen have been known to ignore C hydrants
and go find better ones to hook up to.

fire_hydrant:class=AA

out of service hydrants are supposed to clearly marked, either with
a tag on the outlets, or by covering them with a bag:

in_service=yes

the colors of the bonnet (top) and caps on the outlets may or may not
convey useful information. depends entirely on the jurisdiction.

colour:bonnet=white
colour:cap=red

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net