[Tagging] Highway turn outs

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Thu Jun 15 15:28:13 UTC 2017

In mountainous areas the highways here often have a wider spot signed as a “turn out” where slower moving traffic is supposed to pull over to allow following vehicles to pass. These are scattered along two lane roads were the sight distance is too short to allow passing other wise. For examples, see the Bing satellite imagery at [1] and [2]

The only tag I see in the wiki that is close is highway=passing_place [3] but that says it is specifically for roads with less than two lanes. Is there an alternative tag or should passing place be redefined to allow its use on wider roads?

I suppose I could simply tag those locations as a short sections with two lanes in one direction, but the same could be said of anyplace tagged with “passing place” as described by the wiki.

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/34.21446/-117.67446
[2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/34.21590/-117.67347
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpassing_place


More information about the Tagging mailing list