[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Place areas

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Mon Jun 19 10:44:55 UTC 2017

On Sunday 18 June 2017, Joachim wrote:

> Detailed proposal with summary tables:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/place_areas

I have to say i don't quite understand what you are actually proposing
with the different scenarios described.

Also i have some trouble understanding your proposal in general,
could you explain what "the extend of a settlement" is, how i can map
this on the ground?

Your introductory remark:

> It is also a well understood principle of OSM that mapping spatial
> features as node is a precursor to the more detailed mapping as area.

by the way is wrong.  Nodes and areas are two abstract concepts within
OSM used to represent elements of reality.  While there are features
that would normally be represented as areas that are occasionally as a
simplified representation mapped as nodes (like a lake) there are also
many things that are represented as nodes that should never be
attempted to be mapped as areas - either by convention (like
place=ocean) or due to their nature (like natural=peak).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/