[Tagging] Power Tower Landuse = ?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Fri Jun 30 03:37:52 UTC 2017

Which landuse is appropriate for power towers?

http://www.tepco.co.jp/pg/electricity-supply/operation/images/img_substation_04.jpg <http://www.tepco.co.jp/pg/electricity-supply/operation/images/img_substation_04.jpg>

here is a picture of some of the towers I am talking about. In this case, most are in or adjacent to a substation.The giant red-white towers in the picture are common in my area, and run across our region. they use a large 25mx25m piece of land for their base. I am talking about these towers when they are by themselves, in farmland or residential areas.

The giant power towers have a mappable (usually fenced) landuse - the tower bases are usually near some kind of access road, and the land for towers is as large as a housing plot. Farmers do not farm under the base, even if there isn’t a fence, making it a separate landuse from whatever is around it.

Somewhat related, micromapped solar panel installations:  the panels themselves are the power generators, but it seems wrong to tag the landuse of a field of solar panels as a “power plant” - as solar panels (and wind farms) are very distributed and could be mixed land use, and are passive - they don’t seem to be “power stations” in the way that coal, oil, nuclear, or even solar-thermal stations are), and although I have been usng landuse=industrial, it seems to not fit really well. Perhaps that is an incorrect choice, but I don’t know what to use.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/504120713 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/504120713>
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/503938829 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/503938829>
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/504121156 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/504121156>

Similar to landuse=highway and landuse=railway, there are landuse values for the areas used by part of a system -  but not an important or active part of the system, like the train tracks between stations.

Is there a landuse=power? there are currently 9 landuse=power uses in OSM. the one in Japan is surely a mis-tag. But maybe landuse=power as a catch-all for land used by passive generation and transmission is a good idea.

advice?

Javbw