[Tagging] how to map simple buildings

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Fri Mar 3 19:04:45 UTC 2017

> do I understand you correctly, we use 1 way (or multipolygon) for every
> building:part plus 1 multipolygon relation with building=* as a fallback
> plus 1 type=building relation for every single building?

We use one area for every building:part, plus the usual area for the
building as a whole.

Each of these areas can be mapped as using either closed ways or
multipolygons depending on the situation and (to an extent) taste.

The type=building relation is unnecessary for all but the most tricky
situations, so I personally recommend omitting it for normal 3D
buildings. Only a minority of the 3D buildings currently in the database
use one anyway, so you would be in good company.

> btw.: there's only one aspect of the simple building model which I
> really detest: the way building:levels in defined for buildings that
> have "missing" levels.

Yeah, sorry for that one.