[Tagging] how to map simple buildings

"Christian Müller" cmue81 at gmx.de
Sat Mar 4 17:05:40 UTC 2017

> Gesendet: Samstag, 04. März 2017 um 10:17 Uhr
> Von: "Martin Koppenhoefer" <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> An: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools" <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Betreff: Re: [Tagging] how to map simple buildings
>
> So no, the building relations to group building:parts are not strictly
> redundant, but the reason they are "needed" are (currently) exceptional
> situations.

Thanks for the examples and conclusion given.  This is a strong reason to
demand its usage in wiki docs and IMO we should even suggest their usage
generally, regardless of the construction site's complexity.

Even when neither multi-layered nor nested buildings exist, they may aid
in data validation and plausibility checks. Yet they may ease maintenance
work for oneself and other mappers, since they usually convey an overview
of all the parts present. But of course it depends on mapping workflow if
this is true to a particular mapper.

Lastly, we should keep in mind that any construction site may change in
time. This may be one of the weaker arguments, but still adds IMO to a
general recommendation of their usage.

Cheers