[Tagging] Mapping time zones as geometries (relations)

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 6 16:42:25 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-06 17:21, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2017 18:30, "Frederik Ramm" <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to start a discussion about the mapping of time zones.
>
>> What do you think?
>
> I'm generally opposed to mapping timezones in OpenStreetMap unless the tzdata maintainers are 100% on board.  Since timezones are a royal pain to keep track of, often changing 100+ times a year, on as little as a few hours notice in some cases.

Do you mean territories switch to another timezone 100+ times a year, or
that the details of the timezone (DST dates etc) change 100+ times a
year? If it's the latter, it won't be a problem for OSM if we only store
the TZ name. Looking at the archives of the tz-announce mailing list,
there are only 1-2 actual changes per month which would affect OSM. I
think there are more changes to admin boundaries than to timezones.

In what way would the tzdata maintainers need to be "on board"?

//colin