[Tagging] Mapping time zones as geometries (relations)

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Mon Mar 6 22:31:38 UTC 2017

On Monday 2017-03-06 14:15 -0500, Richard Welty wrote:
> On 3/6/17 11:21 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Mar 5, 2017 18:30, "Frederik Ramm" <frederik at remote.org
> > <mailto:frederik at remote.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi,
> >
> >        I would like to start a discussion about the mapping of time zones.
> >

> >     What do you think?
> >

> > I'm generally opposed to mapping timezones in OpenStreetMap unless the
> > tzdata maintainers are 100% on board.  Since timezones are a royal
> > pain to keep track of, often changing 100+ times a year, on as little
> > as a few hours notice in some cases.
> >
> i agree. this a perfect example of something that belongs in its own
> database or
> shape file, available to be overlaid on the map when it's wanted.

For what it's worth, data of this sort are maintained at
http://efele.net/maps/tz/ , although the shapefiles there (based on
VMAP0) are somewhat inferior to OSM data, since a number of the
national boundaries (e.g., using the Sudanese claim for the
Egypt/Sudan border) or coastlines (e.g., Aral Sea) are quite out of
date, in ways that are noticeable when overlaying the data.

Apparently the
http://efele.net/maps/tz/world/tz_world_ingredients.zip file there
has information that could be used to rebuild the shapefiles on top
of other sources of data, but I've never attempted to do this.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.